Tuesday, March 1, 2011

THE CHOICE IS YOURS...

The Choice is YOURS...
Sometimes you see something and it just sticks with you, for hours, days, even months – sometimes you live through something and it haunts you for the rest of your life. I think that is how the soldiers who have come home from war overseas must feel and as much as I have prayed often for their safety I admit I did not give much thought to how I could help the cause. I guess we all have our thing, our gift that we offer up to others in this movement for peace, we all have our talents and our skills and our message to share. I write about peace often and share my stories and ideas with others but after seeing a very powerful video today about an organization in the states I have to question whether it is enough. How long have we stood idly by as citizens of our respective nations (Canada and US) and bitched, whined and chewed about the cost of war, how long have we cried over the loss of family and friends and lamented the fact that this war should never have begun. How long have we waited for those in power to decide to pull our troops from other lands across the oceans, how long have we waited in vain?
Not anymore, not today because today it occurred to me the vast potential of our communication system, today it finally sank in just exactly how much power WE THE PEOPLE have to initiate change... today it occurred to me that all it takes is a few to begin to spread a message that placed into the right hands may travel far and wide and end a plague more deadly than any we have ever seen on our planet before. Is it not time for us to stand up collectively as a global family and say finally ENOUGH IS ENOUGH...
Yet how? How do we do it? What is the first step? Has that first step in fact not already been taken?
I say it has, and I see it every day in the interaction between hundreds of people from around the world who are members of thousands of social networks, people who don’t much give a damn what their skin colour is and where they are from; all they care about is the joy of interacting, sharing and learning from each other. What does this mean for our future? Hell what does this mean for our now? I have a thought – a strange idea birthed from the realization of how widely we are all connected via tools such as the internet – what if – and you really must work with me on this one by way of amping up the power of your imagination – what if we could organize a worldwide laying down of arms? What if? Now think not in terms of what if’s having any place in our world and think instead in terms of what now?
As crazy of an idea as it sounds what could be if right now you passed this message on to others by posting it on your wall – by passing it through your various networks – by sending it off in emails...
As crazy as it may sound what is the potential of this idea spreading and how far and fast could it spread?
As off the wall as you might think it – how much power would the people be proven to have if we utilized the international relationships and friendships we have built by asking those we interact with to help us spread this idea...
Look – let’s face it, if we sit back and rely on those in power to bring peace to our world – we are simply not going to get peace – there is simply too much money to be made in war... So – to honour the bravery of the soldiers who speak out in the attached video – to honour the sacrifice of their time, their sanity and for some their lives why cannot we not take the chance and reach out in a global act of solidarity. Do you want our children to keep dying? Do you want our mothers to keep losing their sons, our sisters and daughters to keep losing their husbands? Do you want to forever be in a state of resistance in accepting just exactly how much power ‘WE THE PEOPLE’ have or do you want to speak out?
Why is it so damn hard for people to imagine the idea of soldiers around the world choosing to lay down their weapons? I tell you why...It is because we have not stood behind them and told them that it is OK to NOT want to kill – we have not stood up and told them it is OK with us to NOT want to take a life – we have not stood up and told them that it is OK to WANT PEACE and it is OK to CHOOSE NOT TO FIGHT...
I know – it’s a pipe dream right? Well trained soldiers would NEVER do such a thing... Yup I thought so too until today when I saw that video – but after watching it, and crying over the sorrow and pain they have had to endure, and silently apologizing to them for not fully understanding where they are coming from I made a promise to those brave souls who had the courage to speak out. I am no soldier... I cannot fathom the torment and hell they have endured but I am a human being who can feel compassion for their plight and though I have sat by like many others and judged them for their actions in joining in a fight that is not ours to fight I am now more than willing to fight alongside them in ending it. And before you judge me the Canadian author for speaking so boldly on this subject, before you pull out the 'but 911 was an American tragedy' please let me gently remind you that war is a global tragedy On the day of 911 I sat on my stairs in my house and wept along with thousands of others who witnessed that horrendous event. I wept for the loss of life, the loss of freedom, the loss of faith and what appeared at the time to be a monumental loss of hope...
Today I wept again because in the watching of this video I felt a huge surge of hope, that if these soldiers were willing to speak out and if we helped them to spread their message, not just here but around the world what could be the potential outcome. Imagine for a moment a movement so large that it reaches our brothers and sisters in Iraq? Yes brothers and sisters - they are human - they are part of this world and they are no less a part of our global family – what would happen I ask you if they knew that our soldiers did not want to be there? What would happen if our soldiers knew it was OK for them to NOT WANT to be there? What would happen if we showed them by reaching out that WE THE PEOPLE did NOT WANT TO FIGHT ANYMORE?
Well the idea is interesting enough but to be honest if you want to do something chances are you are probably already doing something – and if you don’t want to get involved you are simply going to turn the other cheek and ignore everything I just said – no words of mine will make a difference – so I will offer the link – and when you are done watching the video you may do with this blog what you will... pass it on – or toss it out – the choice is yours... but that is the beauty of choice really – when you think about it – the choice always has been...
POWERFUL MESSAGE FROM OUR SOLDIERS
Jean Victoria Norloch
www.feenxrising.com
www.feenxrising.ning.com

No comments:

Post a Comment