Monday, August 8, 2011

My Feel Good Blog...

My Feel Good Blog...
Sigh...
Sometimes it just seems that no matter what I do, I can’t seem to find the natural joy that we all know is a natural part of who we are. There are days when it just seems to be too much, when even the little day to day irritations are overwhelming, causing fear and doubt to overpower reason and send me spiralling into a self destructive, self depreciating inner dialogue. There have been many who have offered me tools to use to remain grounded, many who have offered me wisdom and advice, and many who have over the years encouraged me simply to find my own path to inner peace. I tried to do the meditations, I tried to do the visualizations, I tried the baths with sea salt and candles, I even tried my old friend the pen yet still there are moments when even something as personal to me as writing cannot lift me up out of my morbid mood and set me back on the path to feeling good about life.
It is those times when all other tools fail, when there is seemingly nowhere left to turn that I seek the assistance of the universal language of music. I have built myself a top five list of songs I play each and every time I am feeling a little lost.
Carefully chosen for not just the message within, but for the beauty of spirit of the writers and the performers these songs have saved me many times by bringing me back to a place of understanding, hope and faith.
First on my list and always the first to be played, Redemption song by peace troubadour Bob Marley, my preferred version being that of the incredible artists from Playing For Change. Apart from the inspiration that comes from watching strangers from around the world play together a song of love it is the words that really get me going. “But my hand was made strong by the ‘and of the almighty’ and so with these words I am reminded yet again that I am not alone and if I just allow it the help will be there when I need it. “Won’t you help me sing another song of freedom... “Does this mean freedom from oppression, suffering, and from turmoil? Does this mean freedom from all things external that hurt us and hold us back; no I don’t think that is what this lyrical genius meant at all... ‘emancipate yourselves from mental slavery – none but ourselves can free our minds’ ... Thanks Bob... you’re right – the only one who is going to save me is me and with a little help from you I am well on my way...



A DREAM YOU DREAM ALONE IS ONLY A DREAM – A DREAM YOU DREAM TOGETHER IS A REALITY...
These words are the first thing you see on the next video I always play, John Lennon’s song Imagine, yet again artfully remade by the musicians at Playing for change. I guess there is not much to be said about the lyrics of this song, since it all blends together so well that it would be impossible to separate them and pull out any one line as being more important to me than any other. It is as if it grew organically, inspired directly from the creator and brought to us as a gift straight from the heavens... I imagine John writing this without putting any thought into the words that poured forth, pure feeling is how I view this song and it often leaves me reflecting on how lucky we are to be born in a time when the message of love in this song is one that can be felt around the world.



If the lyrics from the previous song came direct from the heavens then surely the voice of this next young angel also is a gift from God... Amazing Grace, a purely human song celebrating the power of love, forgiveness and understanding for in the darkest hour comes a light to lead us home. Yes, purely human, written from a place of peace which has only been discovered after a time of doubt and fear. Is there more beautiful a sound than that of the human spirit rejoicing in connection to source? It really does sooth the soul...



Now usually around this time I am feeling much better about myself, my life and my world... Thanks to the inspiration amassed in the three previous songs my heart is ready to sing and dance, if not yet ready to soar. There is no more perfect a song then to get the body moving than a good ole’ fashioned Bob Marley tune and so I play the next song and pretty soon my heart is thumping along to the beat of ONE LOVE...
I love the idea of musicians from around the world joining their voices to sing a song of unity, toss in the amazing rhythm and energy of the music and I am well on my way to joy and bliss. By the time it ends I am most assuredly feeling alright...



And so I celebrate my new found happiness with playing my all time favourite song, sung by an extremely talented Native American artist by the name of Jana Mashonee... I am not sure if it the call of the drums to the blood of my ancestors or if it is the intricate dance of the musical notes combined with a story of a time of peace and prosperity for all that gets me; all I know is that if ever I need a song to set my spirit soaring all I need do is play The Enlightened Time and my me immediately takes flight into the freedom of inspired co-creation.



So next time you are feeling a bit low, a bit tired and maybe even a bit ready to give up and give in, give yourself over to the magic of music. Even if these particular songs are not for you, there are sure to be somewhere out there at least one piece of music that speaks to your soul, that sets you free and rises you up to a place where you can really appreciate how beautiful our world can be...
Namaste,
Jean Victoria Norloch
www.feenxrising.blogspot.com


1 comment:

  1. Music! It is my pick me up so often and I have a lot to choose from. Great post, and a nice selection of music too!

    ReplyDelete